Friday, September 14, 2018

First Signs of Fall

The official calendar stats that fall starts September 22nd, but leading up to that point, the weather begins to get a little cooler (or not), while the days become shorter. People decorate their
houses in the various shades of red and orange, welcoming the change of seasons, but in Jacksonville, Alabama, the town surrounding Jacksonville State University has a different kind of
season.
As a student attending the Friendliest Campus in the South, you can spot the beginning of fall in late August as new and returning Gamecocks start up the semester. The Marching Southerners start to resound around campus, preparing for those marvelous half-time performances. The Ballerinas perfect their kicks, and the Colorguard hold onto their flags a little tighter as they gust in the crisp autumn wind.
Sororities anticipate rush week and the celebrated Bid Day. Fraternities reach out to potential pledges. The Greek Life eagerly waits to welcome individuals into their credited organizations. The various religious activities such RUF, Engage, and the Wesley Foundation begin their weekly services.
Any Jacksonville local will notice the increase in traffic starting the Thursday before kick-off. The Farmer’s Market dwindles down as things go out of season. Repeated season-ticket holders drive into town with their RV’s to park them for the duration of football season. The stores on the Square are packed as everyone tries to find that last minute, perfect game day outfit.
Businesses all around Jacksonville start putting out their “Go Gamecocks” signs in the windows or on their changeable letter signs to show their support of the University. Restaurants prepare for the crowds looking for places to eat (and celebrate) between all the games that occur on the first Football Saturday.
Marshmallows, graham crackers and Hershey bars magically find places beside each other in the grocery store. Halloween decorations take over the seasonal aisles at Wal-Mart, and those fall scented candles go on sale.
As the fall season breaches the city of Jacksonville anyone will find that before Jacksonville Mountain is covered in an array of colors the people are well prepared for the harvest season.

BAILY SCOTT
Guest Blogger: Baily Scott  
"My name is Baily Scott, I am a local to the Calhoun County area. I am currently a Senior at Jacksonville State University majoring in Communications with a focus in Public Relations and a minor in English. I enjoy hiking and exploring the outdoors in my spare time. I first became
involved with the Chamber my senior year in high school. Emily Duncan was my mentor, and I credit this experience with narrowing down what path of communications to take. A year and half into my college career I began interning for Main Street Anniston. It was through this opportunity that I once again found myself involved in Calhoun County. As a chance to work with the Chamber of Commerce surfaced just 3 short years after my initial encounter, I sought to continue my involvement. I look forward to working at the Chamber throughout this Fall semester."


No comments:

Post a Comment