Thursday, November 29, 2018

"Film is light and shadow..." Annie Baker's The Flick

One play audiences might not be as familiar with is Annie Baker's The Flick which received the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. The story follows three movie ushers and the work necessary to keep "The Flick" up and running. This performance captures life, at times mundane and at other moments rich and entertaining. 
So we interviewed one of the performers, Jessika Holmes as she gets ready for opening.

How did you become interested in theatre? 
I started as a child and I never stopped. When I made it to college, I found out that there is a scholarly aspect to it and lovely analysis, which I love. It will keep changing and keep me interested for the rest of my life.

Who are some actors you most admire? 
I really only have cheesy answers to that, Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence.
 
What's been your favorite part of the Flick? 
My favorite part of the Flick has been the intimate actor work that this production requires and depends on. This play is life on stage.

Why should folks come see the show?
It's intimate and beautiful. You do not get a chance to see this kind of theatre often. It is an experience and a small look into life and who we are.


Come catch this show, Thursday, November 29 and Friday, November 30 beginning at 7:30 P.M. at the Stone Center at Jacksonville State University. 
With some adult language and situations, this piece is appropriate for ages 15 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment